Thursday, August 23, 2012

Dinner


At the park we have anywhere from six to a dozen young Fire Techs; they often are deployed -- usually somewhere out west -- to fight those huge fires you see on the TV news. I asked one of their leaders today what they ate when out in the wilderness.  "MRE's," he said -- meals ready to eat. "Are they good?" I asked. "I'll bring you one and you can decide for yourself."

They were called "C-Rations" when I was in the Army.  They were not bad -- something Spam-like was my favorite -- but barely enough to sustain you until the next meal..  I'll see how I do with my Menu 9 Beef stew, which I can't eat tonight because Jack and Jane, whose cats I feed when they're away, brought me a foot-long ham sub from a great deli in Saratoga Springs, New York, and I need to eat it in all its glorious freshness.

No comments:

Post a Comment