Sunday, September 11, 2011

Day of Remembrance


This is one of my favorite views in Cape Cod National Seashore, looking across Salt Pond and Nauset Marsh to the Atlantic from behind the Salt Pond Visitor Center.  Each year beginning in 2002 a certain man has come at about 9AM on 9/11 and, looking out upon this view, played taps on his bagpipes.  I don't know that he ever identified himself; there was a rumor that he was a retired NYC policeman.


I wanted to see him.  I went there this morning and sat on a bench waiting.  He did not show.  That was okay; it was nice to ponder 9/11 there on the bench.  Then two great people I know showed up and it turned out to be a time of great chatting fun.

1 comment:

  1. At first I thought it a painting..a gentle place to ponder...pondering is a fine act...I recall being at Port Arthur a little while after the massacre in 1996...one man ...35 died...I was with friends ..sitting in a makedo cafe...at one point we laughed at something...and then we stopped...still and silent...and then we talked of deep things..and agreed that if no laughter comes..then the violence wins...we sent love to the place..as I do to NYC...as I do to the universe..all

    ReplyDelete