Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Happy Birthday to Marilyn Monroe (RIP) - 6/1/26 - 8/5/62


A real person who lived the life of flesh and blood but also existed in millions and millions ... and by now billions I suppose ... of dreams.  I was working in the Western Union Telegraph office in Alpena, Michigan, on a Sunday morning, when the ticker tape transmitted the news of her death.  Some twenty years later my friends Drew and Will gave me the above piece of art Drew had done, nicely matted and framed.  I loved Marilyn Monroe.  I loved the idea of her.  I love this depiction of her.

1 comment:

  1. The white dress she wore in "The Seven Year Itch" is up for auction..perhaps $2 million...wonder what the lass would think of that..must be spooky to be sort of owned by the world...me thinks there was so much more to her than most thought..however most of the world didn't want a deep Marilyn...a thoughtful Marilyn..that didn't suit ...

    rest dear one rest...still

    ReplyDelete