Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Today I Just Believe in John ....


I was living on Pearl Street in Provincetown, Massachusetts. The TV was on. Breaking News. No! No! Disbelief. Then shock. I couldn't just stand there so I telephoned Dennis, my rock-n-roll buddy in Lansing, Michigan.  I could tell I'd awakened him. "Dennis, you gotta turn on your TV ... somebody shot John Lennon."

On the following Sunday Rodney and I were driving to Michigan. We pulled into a rest area to observe the ten minutes of silence in honor of someone we loved.

John Lennon said a lot of things for a lot of us, things we felt but could not have expressed so perfectly because we all could not be lyrical and rock geniuses.

"God is a concept by which we measure our pain. I'll say it again: God is a concept by which we measure our pain. I don't believe in magic. I don't believe in I-Ching. I don't believe in Bible. I don't believe in tarot. I don't believe in Hitler. I don't believe in Kennedys. I don't believe in Buddha. I don't believe in mantras. I don't believe in Gita. I don't believe in yoga. I don't believe in kings. I don't believe in Elvis. I don't believe in Zimmerman. I don't believe in Beatles. I just believe in me, Yoko and me, and that's reality. The dream is over. What can I say? The dream is over ... yesterday. I was the dreamweaver but now I'm reborn. I was the walrus but now I'm John. And so, dear friends, you'll just have to carry on.  The dream is over."

1 comment:

  1. Hard to believe it is so long since JOhn was murdered. Harder still to realise if he had lived he would be 70 - but hey, strawberry fields forever...

    ReplyDelete