Thursday, September 30, 2010

James Dean; 1931-1955

James Dean died in a car crash 55 years ago today.  Only 24.  I bought a copy of the picture below at the James Dean Museum in Fairmount, Indiana, eight or ten years back.  I like to tell people it is a picture of me; generally they don't recognize it as a picture of James Dean and don't question my truthiness.  I enjoy telling a lie once in a while, keeping in practice, and then -- maybe, maybe not -- following it up with the truth.

I've visited his grave in Fairmount, Indiana, three times; it isn't far from my own Indiana hometown.  The first time I was there was in the early sixties; fans had chipped away pieces of the stone.  It was replaced by the time of my second visit in 1991.  I like it that on that and on a later visit the stone isn't damaged, and there are smack-dabs on it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment