Thursday, July 15, 2010

Birds of Prey


The peregrine falcon perched on my leather-clad forearm is Angus.  The falconer on the right is my cool co-worker John.   Angus is the most handsome bird I've ever seen.  When John releases Angus to fly free for exercise, and he's ready for Angus to return, John will hold up a piece of meat and Angus will spy the meal from even a mile away and come flying back.  He can reach speeds of up to 200 miles per hour!

"Falconer" is also a novel by John Cheever ... a novel I didn't much care for though I generally love John Cheever, and I should probably give "Falconer" another shot.

And tonight I'm going to a presentation by the Harwich Conservation Club called "Birds of Prey" and I'll see and learn about all sorts of raptors.

No comments:

Post a Comment