Thursday, November 12, 2009

A Mailman in Ireland

Photo by Abby Orton

The mail carrier on his bicycle in Athboy, Ireland, 1999, is drawing directions for Abby and me.  I see I'm wearing Birkenstocks, and that reminds me of a years-ago episode in the restaurant up in Vermont.  One of the waitresses had met a man a few days earlier, but his advances were sleazy.  She hastily rejected him.  A few nights later she spied him walking up and down the sidewalk in front of the restaurant; she ran to the kitchen, saying she was scared of him; she had heard he carries a gun.

As she cringed in a corner of the kitchen I said, "If he comes in just tell him you don't want to be bothered by him ever again, especially at your job.  I'll protect you."

"How can you protect me?" she asked.  "You're wearing Birkenstocks!"

No comments:

Post a Comment